Thursday 28 June 2012

Truly Magestic (In certain aspects...)


In childhood (and in some ways still.. now) my movie hero and one of my very few inspirations was a guy who loved to make people laugh (he’s also Canadian) and in the 90s he could very well have been the best comedian, this world has ever seen. But within the 20th and 21st century, he merely reached the expectations of the smallest of views, within the film industry. Although he has failed to reach my most recent expectations, he most definitely has reached my overall expectations, as I still see him as the greatest cinematic comedian, this world has seen in a long time. Jim Carrey. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective was his first official cinematic showing and it lit up the room. I mean Jim has an in particular technique when it comes to acting and that is stupidity and immaturity. In all honesty, not a lot of comedians try to pull this technique off nowadays and those who try, fail to reach Jims expectations. Most comedies nowadays rely almost entirely on story and not personal quality. Oh and I’m not trying to say that all comedians are awful, as there are definitely some with their own techniques, such as Robert Downy Jr and Adam Sandler. There are just some that make me think "I could act like that" well anyone could i suppose. And from then on he created pieces that dazzled the entire world again. Dumb and Dumber was truly amazing and also my personal favourite of his pieces, Liar Liar. Liar Liar is fantastic (note that Jim writes his material), I mean who comes up with attacking himself with a pen to tell himself that the pen is red? Even in the bloopers, he accidentally messed up and made up for it by making a goose out of paper in 5 seconds? Pure genius, if you ask me :P. Then there’s also Jim serious films :O. He’s almost as good in a serious role as he is comedian and that’s saying something. In the majestic and the Truman Show, his performance was absolutely superb, they definitely touched me. The stories were amazing and Jims acting made it better. But in the cinema, if you start great, it doesn’t mean you'll end great. His reign of fame, in my opinion plummeted after 'Bruce Almighty' and 'Fun with Dick and Jane'. Even since films like 'No 23', 'Yes Man' and 'Mr Poppers Penguins' all very much disappointed me :/. Jim is running out of ideas and as I said, Jim was 90s news but it doesn’t mean he is atrocious; he is still one of the greatest comedians to ever live. There is also hope to come, Jim Carrey starts in 'Dumb and Dumber 2' in the very near future with Jeff Daniels and I think that if it reaches the standards of the first, it will set Jims career back up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment